The Welsh Hockey Union Limited under its trading name of Hockey Wales is the Governing Body for hockey in Wales and covers all aspects of the game including clubs, schools, Universities, competitions, development, umpiring and International hockey.
Whilst the Union was only established in 1996 following the merger of the former Welsh Women's Hockey Association (WWHA) and the Welsh Hockey Association (WHA), Hockey Wales can claim to be over 100 years old. The WWHA was established in 1897 and the WHA were formed one year earlier.
Since the merger Hockey Wales has sought to be a progressive forward-thinking National Governing Body intent on achieving its Vision.
The Hockey Wales Vision
Hockey Wales seeks to work with the other National Governing Bodies in Great Britain (England Hockey Board and Scottish Hockey) to the benefit of the game as a whole and in support of the Great Britain Olympic Teams via Great Britain Hockey Ltd. Hockey Wales is a full and active member of both the European Hockey Federation and the Federation Internationale de Hockey.
Hockey Wales also works closely with Sport Wales, the Welsh Sports Association, the Commonwealth Games Council for Wales, its member clubs and schools and associated organisations to the benefit of hockey in particular and sport generally in Wales. Every effort is also made to work with sponsors to the benefit of both parties.
As the National Governing Body for hockey in Wales, Hockey Wales seeks to support hockey for males and females from schoolboy/girl age groups to veterans at international, club and social levels and provides a comprehensive development programme especially for youngsters. Competitive structures suitable for all levels of ability exist and are regularly updated to ensure that they are relevant to the requirements of the Union's membership.
International teams for men and women exist at senior, under 21, under 18 and under 16 levels. The senior and under 21 teams play in European and World competitions, as well as in Celtic Cup competitions and the senior teams have competed in the Commonwealth Games. The under 18 and under 16 teams play in European and friendly international events. All these teams are heavily funded by Sports Wales and Hockey Wales are most grateful for this assistance. In addition to the above, a mixed international team plays in a match against the England mixed team on an annual basis.
Again with the support of Sports Wales, Senior and Junior Academies for men and women operate to ensure the development of elite performers and ensure the international future of Wales.
Structure of Hockey Wales
The Welsh Hockey Union is a company limited by guarantee, but not having share capital. This means that whilst the clubs are nominally the members, in law the members are in fact individuals who are named as trustees by their club or school and carry the vote etc., of their club or school.
- The members of Hockey Wales are both clubs and schools who have equal voting rights at General Meetings.
- At the AGM, the members elect Directors to serve on the Board as well as completing the normal business of a Limited Company.
- Hockey Wales does not have a constitution - it has a Memorandum of Association, Articles of Association and bye-laws.
Organisational Arrangements within Wales
Whilst Hockey Wales promotes and develops hockey at international and national level, regional organisations promote the game in their own areas. Separate women's and men's regional committees work in North and South Wales. The regional committees organise domestic competitions for youth and senior players and run regional teams as part of overall development and performance structures.
- The regional committees are autonomous bodies, but each work closely with Hockey Wales's central organisation.
- The Welsh Hockey Umpires Association (WHUA) is also an independent organisation working with Hockey Wales. The WHUA manages all matters relating to umpire development and performance.
- The Welsh Hockey Veterans Societies provide for national and international men's and women's veterans hockey across the country. Members of the Society tend to play club hockey for the own clubs on a regular basis and then compete in veterans events on an occasional basis throughout the British Isles.
The Welsh Hockey Union Limited is a Company limited by guarantee
- Trading name 'Hockey Wales'
- Company Registered No: 4891518
- Registered Office: Sport Wales National Centre, Sophia Gardens, Cardiff CF11 9SW
Click below to download: