Preparation for the Commonwealth Games continues this weekend; with Wales’ women’s squad, sponsored by D&G Office Interiors, heading off to Gran Canaria; embarking on their first warm weather training camp of the year!
In preparation for the contrasting environment they will endure during the Games this April, the warm weather training camp will be a fantastic opportunity for the squad to bank invaluable experience and training time in warmer climes. The Australian weather conditions will be unapologetically humid and uninviting compared to the usual backdrop the squads train and play in, meaning the Spanish surroundings provide a suitably balanced platform for players to engage with.
Whilst on camp Wales will also have 5 training matches against Scotland as another important part of their preparation, mixing a nice balance of games and training time.
Reflecting on the importance of the coming week, Head Coach Kevin Johnson commented:
“Our upcoming warm weather training camp in Gran Canaria is a much-needed chance for the squad to spend some quality time together as part of our preparation phase for the Commonwealth Games. We’re sharing facilities with Scotland, which allows both nations to have a training base and the opportunity to play 5 matches against each other. We’ll have the opportunity to continue developing our on-pitch strategy, as we look to improve our execution in all facets of the game. Off pitch our extended time together will allow players and staff the chance to focus on our team culture for a 10-day period, which we hope will simulate that of a tournament experience.”
Johnson has confirmed he’ll be adding two fresh faces to the squad during this trip! Both Jodie Beddow (Cannock HC) and Izzie Howell (Neston South Wirral) have impressed, showing clear development throughout the last training phase; deserving the opportunity to showcase what they can do at a senior level.
Wales will play their first match against Scotland on Friday.
Sunday 21st January @16:00pm
Tuesday 23rd January @15:30pm
Wednesday 24th January @15:30pm
Friday 26th January @15:30pm
Sunday 28th January @16:00pm
- Leah Wilkinson © (Holcombe)
- Sian French VC (Bowdon Hightown)
- Beth Bingham (Holcombe)
- Danni Jordan (Buckingham)
- Delyth Thomas (University of Birmingham)
- Ella Jackson GK (Buckingham)
- Eloise Laity (Buckingham)
- Emily Rowlands (Buckingham)
- Hannah Cozens (Buckingham)
- Izzie Howell (Neston South Wirral)
- Joanne Westwood (Holcombe)
- Jodie Beddow (Cannock)
- Julie Whiting (Bowdon Hightown)
- Natasha Marke-Jones (Clifton Robinsons)
- Phoebe Richards (Buckingham)
- Rebecca Treharne (Southampton Trojans)
- Roseanne Thomas (GK) (Holcombe)
- Rosie Bailey (Bowdon Hightown)
- Sarah Jones (Holcombe)
- Sophie Clayton (Clifton Robinsons)
- Tina Evans (No current club)
- Xenna Hughes (East Grinstead)
Stay up to date with all the latest news and action right here!