• HockeyWales


The Swansea City Spartans embarked on their trip up to Edinburgh for the Euro Hockey Club Challenge I on Thursday 17th May. The first game was against Rotweiss Wettingen. The Spartans knew very little about the Swiss side so Swansea were focusing on their game heading into the match. The squad were all very excited to get their Euro hockey tournament underway after a great season in the West Conference, finishing 4th.

The game started tentatively for the Spartans, it took the girls a while to get into the match. Rotweiss managed to score a goal in the first quarter after some silky skills from one of their forwards. In true Spartan style, Swansea reacted well and after a great ball from Abi Welsford into the D, Amy Burton snuck one past the Swiss keeper.

Swansea were still looking a bit hesitant and hadn’t relaxed into the match. Rotweiss won a short corner and after a well-practiced routine, they saw themselves 2-1 going into half time.

A few minutes into the second half Anna Reynolds made a slightly dubious challenge and ended up in the bin for 10 minutes. Swansea managed being a player down well, and the third quarter was goalless. Both teams had several short corners but neither team managed to get another one into the back of the net. Going into the fourth quarter the Spartans knew they had to give it everything. About 5 minutes in, Lauren Dunn played a beautiful ball down the line into space. Amy Burton managed to get on the end of it and then proceeded to weave her way through the Rotweiss defenders and into the D, winning a flick for Swansea. Anna Reynolds stepped up and slotted one into the bottom left corner.

It was 2-2 and with 3 minutes to go Swansea won a short corner, this was their chance to snatch the game after being 2-1 down. Kat Gierak did her usual thing of smashing the ball past the keeper and into the goal, and the Spartans were 3-2 up. Rotweiss then had a final burst of energy and were putting a lot of pressure on the Welsh side. In the final minute, the Swiss won a short corner and with the last hit of the game they equalised making the final score 3-3.

Swansea were disappointed that they conceded in the last minute, however they were pleased to come away with a draw and are excited for the game today against University of Edinburgh at 4.45pm.

#ClubChallengeI #Competition #EuroHockey #Spartans

0 views0 comments