Cook it, Name it, Send it…with Senior Players for the HOCI_GOLD Campaign
Renowned Welsh Chef Stephen Terry has shared a recipe to support the women’s HOCI_GOLD campaign. Join the squad as they ‘cook off’ which starts TODAY!
To enter, simply cook the recipe below, name the dish and send us the evidence for Stephen to judge – winner receives signed copy of ‘inspired ..by’
Fresh pasta with pork or chicken or squash with peas and lettuce
1 x Pack of 6/8 pork sausages or approx. 300g minced pork/chicken.
(Stephen's tip: I always use sausages!)
Meat alternative, a small butternut squash peeled, deseeded, and cut into approx. 1.5 cm square or a small cauliflower cut into small florets
125g fresh penne pasta per person
1 small red onion peeled & finely chopped.
1 small bag of washed and ready to use baby spinach
2 cloves garlic, again peeled & finely chopped
1 regular red chilli pepper deseeded and finely chopped
1 small pinch of dried chilli flakes (optional)
4 anchovy fillets, brined or salted from a jar or small tin (optional)
1 small bunch of flat leaf parsley and chives washed and roughly chopped
100g peas form the freezer
2 teaspoons of brined capers or chopped dill pickle roughly chopped.
Olive oil for frying
Parmesan or Grana Padano for grating over the finished dish
500ml Chicken or veg stock. Make the stock, pour into a pan and reduce it half by boiling.
200g Double cream
Salt to season
1 slice of good bread, preferably sourdough. This will be pan fried in a little olive oil or veg oil and finely chopped to finish the dish. This can be prepared in advance..
1 head of little gem or small head of romaine or iceberg lettuce.
Method / Instructions for cooking
1. You will need two pans. One pan ready ¾ full of simmering, salted water to cook the pasta and a large (preferably) non-stick frying pan to make the sauce.
2. Remove the sausage meat from the sausages by cutting them lengthways and squeezing out the meat onto a dish if using.
3. Pour about a table spoon of olive oil into the frying pan over a reasonably high heat.
4. Add the sausage meat or meat or butternut squash and/or cauliflower florets to the pan carefully and using a wooden spoon break the meat up as it is frying and getting a good golden brown, caramelised texture.
5. Whilst the meat/veg is frying, chop the onion, chilli, garlic and parsley.
6. Once the meat/veg is cooked and has coloured add the above along with the chopped fresh chilli and optional small pinch of dried chilli flakes. Cook and soften for about 4-5 mins.
7. If you are using dried pasta then now is probably a good time to start cooking it. Pour into salted boiling water.
8. Now add the hot, reduced stock, peas & chopped anchovy fillets (optional) and bring back to the boil.
9. Lay your picked and washed lettuce leaves out on a serving dish or individual plates if you wish.
10.Add the spinach to the sauce and stir in. Then add the cream and bring back to the boil.
11.If using fresh pasta now is the time to drop it into your salted boiling water.
12.The sauce should be thickening nicely by now and will pretty much be ready for the pasta to be added. The pasta when ready will have a very slight firmness to it but not chewy!
13.Strain the pasta when ready and stir it into the sauce. Check the sauce to see it is the right consistency and coating the pasta and season with a little salt.
14.Serve the pasta over the lettuce leaves and finish with the finely chopped fried bread, chopped chives (optional) and grated Parmesan or Grana Panado cheese ( or any cheese for that matter!)
15.Give yourself a pat on the back and tuck in!! Well done you! It wasn’t that hard was it?
A cheeky little mocktail that goes very nicely with this is Stephen’s apple and ginger spritz.
This made quite simply by pouring apple juice halfway up a tall glass then adding half a ginger shot and topping up with tonic water. Add a couple of ice cubes, a sprig of fresh mint and a squeeze of fresh lime. Give it a stir and iechyd da!!!
Cook off begins: Tuesday 9 Feb for one week
Video or pictorial evidence to be sent to: email@example.com
Don’t forget to name your dish.
Judging by Stephen will take place and winner announced on @HOCI_GOLD instagram and across Hockey Wales social media.