• HockeyWales


Final Score: Barry Bears 1 - 2 Newport Nighthawks.

Despite the Barry Bears winning the league fixture early in the season between these two sides, it was the Newport Nighthawks who exacted revenge in the Grand Final and took the trophy after a dramatic 2-1 win on Saturday.

With both teams approaching the game in high spirits after rallying motivational preparations by both managers, Andrew Roberts for the Bears and Ross Hall for the Nighthawks, there was no let-up in action or drama when the contest finally got underway.

It was first blood to the Nighthawks who took the lead before half-time as both sides shared equal amounts of possession and territory through a fine solo effort from Eloise Laity who picked up her 4th goal of the campaign.

As expected the Barry Bears came out hard in the second half as the Nighthawks looked to protect their slender lead, but they remained frustrated by the end of the 3rd quarter as they were unable to find the all-important finish to their numerous attacking plays.

The equaliser came at the start of the final quarter through a fine penalty corner conversion by Izzie Howell. With a resurgent Barry Bears unit now intent on using the momentum to chase a winner both sides traded blows, but neither could land that all important punch until Sara Davies turned over a Bears attack and found her Nighthawks teammate Lauren Dunn with a through ball who made no mistake with the finish to give the Newport side a 2-1 advantage with 2 minutes to go, and that is how the score stayed as the game finished.

Virtual jubilation was apparent everywhere as the Nighthawks lifted the trophy to cap off a fine season in this inaugural Lockdown tournament.

Individual awards were also finalised as the tournament reached its conclusion, with Meg Lewis-Williams winning the Golden Stick award for the top goal scorer with her haul of 6 for the Barry Bears, and Ella Jackson of the Newport Nighthawks taking the Golden Glove award for the most goalkeeper saves.

Final finishing positions for our competing teams after the medal matches.

1st = Newport Nighthawks

2nd = Barry Bears

3rd = Wrexham Wildcats

4th = Swansea Sharks

5th = Cardiff Cobras

121 views0 comments